Job Duties and Responsibilities
Grain Farmers of Ontario is seeking a communications assistant who is enthusiastic and a self-starter. They will have knowledge of and be enthusiastic about the agricultural industry. This role is very much that of an ambassador – representing Grain Farmers of Ontario at various farm shows, Fairs and events throughout the summer and fall of 2019 as part of our Grain Discovery Zone program (GDZ). The GDZ is a grain outreach trailer that travels across the province to engage children and adults with grain farming. It includes interactive games, educational displays, outreach material and a corn box.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Organization and Logistics
- Coordinating Grain Farmers of Ontario’s presence at fairs/events across the province with the Grain Discovery Zone
- Organize work schedule
- Planning logistics and scheduling of the Grain Discovery Zone
- Coordinating with the venues
- Attending large, busy fairs across the province as a representative for Grain Farmers of Ontario
- Set-up, tear-down, maintenance, and driving the Grain Discovery Zone to fairs/events across the province
- Educating, interacting and answering questions from visitors to the GDZ about the benefits of grain farming in Ontario
Social Media and Communications
- Provide Social media communications, including blog posts, Instagram, Twitter, snapchat and Facebook updates as the successful candidate travels throughout the province promoting grain farming.
- Coordinating with communications staff to include updates on the GDZ for farmer-members in Grain Farmers of Ontario newsletters and social media
- Generating story content for the blog and other social media sites
- Assisting at other Grain Farmers of Ontario events as needed
- Generate innovative ideas to engage public in grain education
- Assist communication staff in other duties as assigned
- Familiar and comfortable discussing agriculture hot topics
- A motivated self-starter with creative energy and proven initiative
- An enthusiastic, outgoing communicator equipped to promote the importance of Ontario’s grain industry
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Instagram, snapchat)
- Ability to work independently for long periods
- Work effectively as part of a team
- Basic knowledge of the agricultural industry
- Has a class G class driver’s license
- Experience driving a large truck with a trailer
- Note: Successful candidate must provide a driver abstract
Hours of work
Full Time 40 hours per week – Days worked in a week vary based on event schedule; a typical work week could be Thursday-Monday.
8 Months (April – November)
Monday February 4th, 2019 at 11:59pm
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to HR@gfo.ca.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavor to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process. All resume information is received in confidence. While we appreciate and thank all applicants, we will only directly contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is the province’s largest commodity organization, representing Ontario’s 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean and wheat farmers. The crops they grow cover 6 million acres of farm land across the province, generate over $2.5 billion in farm gate receipts, result in over $9 billion in economic output and are responsible for over 40,000 jobs in the province.