Grain Farmers of Ontario is looking for a highly motivated individual with excellent writing skills and current knowledge of social media techniques for a 14 month maternity leave position. The ideal candidate is organized, detail oriented and has experience with event planning. If this describes you, we invite you to apply for Grain Farmers of Ontario’s Communications Coordinator position.
The Communications coordinator will coordinate and execute proactive communication programs intended to raise awareness of Grain Farmers of Ontario among its own members, related government entities and the general public. This role plays an important role in delivering Grain Farmers of Ontario’s messaging to all stakeholders. The Communications Coordinator will coordinate and execute the Grain Farmers of Ontario communications activities and assist the communications team in developing additional publication pieces and coordinating projects as required. This position will report to the Manager, Communications.
- Continual media monitoring on key topics and specific publications.
- Daily scan of media monitoring (melt-water feed).
- Regular updates to Manager of Communications of key media coverage (as they happen).
- Determine media reports requiring Grain Farmers of Ontario response.
- Determine opportunities for Grain Farmers of Ontario to “be a part of the conversation”.
- Prepare and distribute “GFO in the News” (weekly e-mail to Directors).
- Develop and maintain relationships with rural media outlets including newspapers, radio, blogs, etc.
- Create network of farmers to connect with for media opportunities.
- Write newspaper submissions/letters to the editor.
- Weekly radio reports on CKNX, CKXS, Valley Heritage, The Eagle, CountryFM, CFCO. New opportunities.
- Annual General Meeting. Plan meeting logistics, prepare and distribute information to delegates, invite and manage media, invite politicians.
- Farm Shows. (Western, Ottawa, COFS, New Liskeard): Manage Grain Farmers of Ontario presence at farm shows (focus on member outreach). Manage show contracts, handle logistics, organize show materials, set-up, maintain, and closeup, and transport exhibit. Mandatory to engage with show attendees, farmer members, industry leaders, and the general public.
- Support Public Outreach Events: As needed, support Good in Every Grain events and initiatives.
- Support March Classic: Assist the March Classic coordinator in planning, preparation, and execution of the conference.
- Create and execute communications plans for Grain Farmers of Ontario teams, including Member Relations, Research, Market Development, Wheat Marketing and Government Relations.
Maintain Grain Farmers of Ontario twitter account.
- Regularly tweet, ensure steady, useful content for farmer-members and the grain industry.
- For specific programs, develop content, write, and coordinate advertising with Brand Specialist.
What you will Bring
- University degree, or college diploma, with additional training in Communications, Public Relations, or a related field
- Minimum of two (2) years public relations and communications experience
- Excellent written and verbal command of the English language with a strong sense of tone needed for various audiences
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and logistics
- Strong attention to detail
- A thorough knowledge of current communications techniques, including social media
- Ability to build relationships with various organizations to maximize Grain Farmers of Ontario’s exposure
- Highly creative with sound judgment, critical thinking skills, and integrity in all actions
- High level of proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- Willingness to work extended hours and evenings as required
- Ability to work under pressure and in stressful situations
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle
- Flexibility to travel and willingness to work outside of normal office hours when the circumstances dictate
- Understanding of the Ontario Agricultural industry considered an asset
What we offer
Grain Farmers of Ontario offers Competitive salary and a collaborative, team environment with the opportunity for learning and development. We also have an active social committee providing fun and interesting social events.
About Grain Farmers of Ontario
Grain Farmers of Ontario is the province’s largest commodity organization, representing Ontario’s 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean and wheat farmers. The crops they grow cover 6 million acres of farm land across the province, generate over $2.5 billion in farm gate receipts, result in over $9 billion in economic output and are responsible for over 40,000 jobs in the province.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is an organization that values teamwork, honesty, integrity, kindness and work ethic. No position within Grain Farmers of Ontario can exist on its own; each position relies on others within our organization to achieve goals. We pride ourselves on our team atmosphere, and we all work together to create a business atmosphere that allows for the highest returns for our farmer-members.
Learn more about us at www.gfo.ca
To apply for this role visit the Grain Farmers of Ontario Career Center.
Submissions must be in the form of a resume with an accompanying cover letter detailing your experience and qualifications relative to the position. Applications without a cover letter listing detailed information regarding relevant qualifications and experience will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
Location: Guelph, ON
Hours of work: Full Time (Monday-Friday, 35 hours/week)
Application Deadline: Sunday July 25, 2021, at 11:59 pm
Grain Farmers of Ontario is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavor to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process. All resume information is received in confidence. While we appreciate and thank all applicants, we will only directly contact those candidates selected for an interview.