Communications Intern (1-year contract)
Grain Farmers of Ontario is looking for an outgoing individual who loves interacting with the public to promote a brand for a one-year Communications Intern position. Our ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter with experience in social media, event planning and knowledge of the ag industry. If this describes you, we invite you to apply for Grain Farmers of Ontario’s Communications Intern.
The Communications Intern is an important part of driving Grain Farmers of Ontario’s public outreach program. They will assist the Communications Specialist, PR, to ensure the public outreach program thrives by focusing on social media content and engagement and acting as an ambassador for Grain Farmers of Ontario at public-facing events. Through the summer and fall, you will travel with our Grain Discovery Zone trailer to various farm shows, fairs, and events across the province to engage children and adults with grain farming. You will also have the opportunity to build and create social media content and support the communications team as needed.
GDZ trailer and displays coordination
- Coordinating Grain Farmers of Ontario’s presence at fairs/events across the province for the Grain Discovery Zone.
- Attend large, busy fairs, farm shows, and events across the province as a representative of Grain Farmers of Ontario. (many events will require weekend work June – Sept)
- Set-up, tear-down, maintain, and drive the Grain Discovery Zone trailer to fairs/events across the province
Digital and social media
- Provide Social media communications from Grain Discovery Zone events, including blog posts, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook promoting grain farming.
- Assist the Communications Specialist, PR by creating social media content as directed to support the success of the public outreach program
- Generating innovative story content for the blog and other social media sites to engage the public in grain education
- Assist communication staff in other duties as assigned
- Assisting at other Grain Farmers of Ontario events as needed
- Support March Classic planning and execution.
What you will Bring
- A motivated self-starter with creative energy and proven initiative
- An enthusiastic, outgoing communicator equipped to promote the importance of Ontario’s grain industry
- Familiar and comfortable discussing agriculture hot topics
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Instagram, snapchat)
- Ability to work independently for long periods
- Work effectively as part of a team
- Has a class G class driver’s license
- Experience driving a large truck with a trailer
- High level of weekend travel to work at farm shows, fairs, and events across Ontario June – Sept
- Must be able to lift a moderate load
- Independent work
- Some working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel and work outside of normal office hours. This includes extended hours, evenings, and weekends as required
About Grain Farmers of Ontario
Grain Farmers of Ontario is the province’s largest commodity organization, representing Ontario’s 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean and wheat farmers. The crops they grow cover 6 million acres of farm land across the province, generate over $4.1 billion in farm gate receipts, result in over $18 billion in economic output and are responsible for over 75,000 jobs in the province.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is an organization that values teamwork, honesty, integrity, kindness and work ethic. We pride ourselves on our team atmosphere, and we all work together to create a business atmosphere that allows for the highest returns for our farmer-members.
How to apply
To apply for this role visit the Grain Farmers of Ontario Career Center
Submissions must be in the form of a resume with an accompanying cover letter detailing your experience and qualifications relative to the position. Applications without a cover letter listing detailed information regarding relevant qualifications and experience will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
Location: Guelph, ON
Hours of work: Full-Time (35 hours/week)
Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 15 @ 11:59 pm
Contract Length: 1 year (May 1, 2023, to May 10, 2024)
The successful candidate will be required to provide a clean Driver’s abstract and a vulnerable sector police check. The cost of these documents will be reimbursed pending the abstract and police record being clear.
Grain Farmers of Ontario are committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavor to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please reach out to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
All resume information is received in confidence. While we appreciate and thank all applicants, we will only directly contact those candidates selected for an interview.