Great Opportunity to see Ontario while engaging with the public to promote the importance of Ontario grains!
Grain Farmers of Ontario is looking for an enthusiastic self-starter to represent GFO as our Grain Discovery Zone Ambassador. As the representative of the Grain Discovery Zone program (GDZ) you will attend various farm shows, fairs and events across the province throughout the summer and fall of 2022 with our outreach trailer to engage children and adults with grain farming. The trailer includes interactive games, educational displays, outreach material and a corn box. Our ideal candidate is outing and loves to talk to people about agriculture. They will have knowledge of the grains industry and are equipped to promote the importance of Ontario grains. If this sounds like you, we invite you to apply for Grain Farmers of Ontario’s Grain Discovery Zone Communications Assistant position.
Organization and Logistics
• Coordinating Grain Farmers of Ontario’s presence at fairs/events across the province with the Grain Discovery Zone.
• Organize work schedule
• Planning logistics and scheduling of the Grain Discovery Zone
• Coordinating with the venues
• Attending large, busy fairs across the province as a representative for Grain Farmers of Ontario
• Set-up, tear-down, maintenance, and driving the Grain Discovery Zone to fairs/events across the province
• Educating, interacting and answering questions from visitors to the GDZ about the benefits of grain farming in Ontario
Social Media and Communications
• Provide Social media communications, including blog posts, Instagram, Twitter, snapchat and Facebook updates as the successful candidate travels throughout the province promoting grain
• Coordinating with communications staff to include updates on the GDZ for farmer-members in Grain Farmers of Ontario newsletters and social media
• Generating innovative story content for the blog and other social media sites to engage public in grain education.
• Assisting at other Grain Farmers of Ontario events as needed
• Assist communication staff in other duties as assigned
What you will Bring
• A motivated self-starter with creative energy and proven initiative
• An enthusiastic, outgoing communicator equipped to promote the importance of Ontario’s grain industry
• Proven communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Instagram, snapchat)
• Ability to work independently for long periods
• Work effectively as part of a team
• Basic knowledge of the agricultural industry
• Has a class G class driver’s license – Note: Successful candidate must provide a driver abstract
• Experience driving a large truck with a trailer
About Grain Farmers of Ontario
Grain Farmers of Ontario is the province’s largest commodity organization, representing Ontario’s 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean and wheat farmers. The crops they grow cover 6 million acres of farm land across the province, generate over $4.1 billion in farm gate receipts, result in over $18 billion in economic output and are responsible for over 75,000 jobs in the province.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is an organization that values teamwork, honesty, integrity, kindness and work ethic. We pride ourselves on our team atmosphere, and we all work together to create a business atmosphere that allows for the highest returns for our farmer-members.
Submissions must be in the form of a resume with an accompanying cover letter detailing your experience and qualifications relative to the position. Applications without a cover letter listing detailed information regarding relevant qualifications and experience will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
Location: Guelph, ON
Hours of work: Full Time (35 hours/week)
Contract Length: May – November
In accordance with the GFO vaccination policy, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (including boosters) Consideration will be made Human Rights Code protected ground.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavor to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process. All resume information is received in confidence. While we appreciate and thank all applicants, we will only directly contact those candidates selected for an interview