Grain Farmers of Ontario is looking for an engaging educator who loves to communicate through storytelling. Are you experienced in presenting to and interacting with school aged children? Are you great at networking and planning logistics? Do you know how to promote the positive image of a company brand? Added bonus if you have experience in agriculture!
If this describes you, we invite you to apply for Grain Farmers of Ontario’s Grains Educator position.
As the Grains Educator, you will play an important role in building public trust and advocating for grain farmers in Ontario. As the public is more and more disconnected from agriculture and farming across Ontario, this role will help close that gap.
You will be responsible for developing a school outreach program using the “Grains on the Go” trailer exhibit to introduce agriculture topics that are curriculum compliant, into the school system. This will include developing and providing material to assist teachers and creating lesson plans you will present while traveling across Ontario visiting elementary schools.
- Work as an active member of the Grain Farmers of Ontario Communications team
- Create materials that supplement the “Grains on the Go” trailer curriculum and teach accurate, science-based information about the practices of grain farming and that are compliant with the Ontario elementary school curriculum
- Ensure materials provide teachers easy access to curriculum specific agricultural items, increasing the probability agricultural topics will be used in daily teaching
- Create lesson plans to be used during school visits including using the trailer as a teaching tool
- Create a calendar for the “Grains on the Go” program to visit elementary schools across Ontario throughout the school year
- Connect with schools and plan the logistics for school visits across Ontario
- Drive the Grain Farmers of Ontario truck and trailer throughout Ontario to lead school visits.
- Connect and interact with students at schools including leading lessons and using the trailer as a teaching tool
- Support the communications team by attending some Grain Farmers of Ontario events
- Act as the spokesperson for Grain Farmers of Ontario educational programs at events to drive engagement with the public
- Promote Grains on the Go and education program on social media and work with Communications to provide additional social media content
What you will Bring
- Experience as an educator of elementary students through teaching, teachers’ college or co-op placement in a school setting
- Experience representing an organization and engaging people in their message
- Ability to comfortably speak and interact with groups and answer questions
- Excellent written and verbal command of the English language with a strong sense of tone needed for various audiences
- Strong logistics and planning skills
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle
- Flexibility to travel and willingness to work outside of normal office hours when the circumstances dictate
- Experience driving a truck and trailer and understanding of the Ontario Agricultural industry is considered an asset
What we offer
Grain Farmers of Ontario is a team of passionate, hardworking people focused on teamwork and collaboration to bring the greatest value to our farmer-members. We offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, and a group retirement program with an employer contribution. We also offer paid sick days, and competitive vacation. We value supporting our team members to reach their full potential by offering every employee the opportunity for learning and development through our development-focused performance management system. We also like to have a little fun! We have an active social committee providing fun and interesting social events.
About Grain Farmers of Ontario
Grain Farmers of Ontario is the province’s largest commodity organization, representing Ontario’s 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean and wheat farmers. The crops they grow cover 6 million acres of farm land across the province, generate over $4.1 billion in farm gate receipts, result in over $18 billion in economic output and are responsible for over 75,000 jobs in the province.
Grain Farmers of Ontario is an organization that values teamwork, honesty, integrity, kindness and work ethic. We pride ourselves on our team atmosphere, and we all work together to create a business atmosphere that allows for the highest returns for our farmer-members.
Learn more about us at www.Grain Farmers of Ontario.ca
To apply for this role visit the Grain Farmers of Ontario Career Center
Submissions must be in the form of a resume with an accompanying cover letter detailing your experience and qualifications relative to the position. Applications without a cover letter listing detailed information regarding relevant qualifications and experience will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
Location: Guelph, ON & travel across Ontario from September to June
Hours of work: Full Time (Monday-Friday, 35 hours/week)
Application Deadline: Sunday, August 7, 2022 @ 11:59 pm EST
Grain Farmers of Ontario is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We will endeavor to accommodate the needs of qualified applicants in all parts of the hiring process. All resume information is received in confidence. While we appreciate and thank all applicants, we will only directly contact those candidates selected for an interview