You are not alone. We understand the challenges farmers are facing and the stress that comes with it. Grain Farmers of Ontario is working to help you, our farmer-members, be successful in your business and we see a focus on mental health and well-being as part of that work.
We know from recent research that 35% of farmers met the clinical criteria for depression, 45% were classified as having high stress, 58% met the criteria for anxiety classification, and 40% of farmers reported they would feel uneasy about seeking professional help due to what people may think. Our agricultural community needs help.
Grain Farmers of Ontario has developed a program to help our farmer-members and the agricultural community gain easier access to the resources they may need to navigate through difficult times. We see distinct areas that need attention:
- Awareness – Helping to promote the idea that it is okay to ask for help when you are struggling. Many people struggle with similar issues and it is ok to ask for help.
- Prevention – We will provide resources such as articles, videos, webinars, workshops, and techniques to help our farmer-members manage the issues they are dealing with.
- Support Resources – We’ve gathered options if you or someone you know needs support.
You can read the full study here.
Results from the National Survey of Farmer Mental Health
This study involved 1100 producers from across Canada.
- 35% of producers met criteria for depression
- 45% of producers were classified as having high stress
- 58% of producers met the criteria for anxiety classification
- 40% of producers reported they would feel uneasy about seeking profession help, due to what people might think.