As global reaction to the COVID-19 crisis continues to unfold, we want to ensure our members know the work we are doing on their behalf.
On Friday, Grain Farmers of Ontario worked in collaboration with provincial and federal groups to reach out to both levels of government (links below). It is imperative that we reach out quickly with defined asks and recommendations. For members looking to help, we have some requests below.
Our discussions with government center on the following:
- Farmers play a vital role in a secure and stable food supply and economy.
- Continuity in food production is essential in Ontario to avoid food shortages and ensure food security.
- Famers need to know governments will support them as they risk their financial, physical and mental health during this pandemic to grow food for Canadians
We are asking for:
- A fully funded RMP program at 100 percent with the cap removed
- An immediate injection of at least 5 percent of a producers’ 2018 ANS into AgriInvest accounts
- An increase to AgriStability to 85 percent for 2019-2020 and remove Reference Margin Limiting
- Protection of the supply chain – from seed, to inputs, to processing, to parts and repairs, to retail and exports
- That farmers and services supporting farms be deemed essential services
What can you do?
We are asking our members to use the above messaging when speaking their local municipal, federal and provincial representatives to ensure our asks are clear and consistent.
We are asking our members to connect with us and share any supply chain issues they have faced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Real stories help us inform government on where to focus their efforts.
For more information, please see our joint and individual letters to government here:
We will continue to update you as we receive more information and we will be updating information on our website as well at: www.gfo.ca/covid19.